General Secretary of the ruling Nepali Congress (NC) has presented six solutions for effective waste management in the Kathmandu Valley.
After the government was able to collect trash in the valley after a hiatus of over one month, Thapa also praised the recent effort of newly elected mayor of the Kathmandu Metropolitan City, Balen Shah and Minister for Urban Development, Ram Kumari Jhakri.
Solutions to waste management in the Valley:
1) Timely implementation of agreement reached between government and locals of dumping site
2) Proper collaboration among ministries to solve issues of land acquisition and providing compensation to locals by the end of the upcoming fiscal year.
3) Committee comprising lawmakers from Kathmandu, Nuwakot and Dhading to be formed to monitor and facilitate implementation of agreement reached between locals and government. This committee will conduct a weekly monitor.
4) Kathmandu Metropolitan City in collaboration with central level and other ministries must fulfill its commitment made for locals residing in dumping sites on time.
5) Effective collaboration and cooperation among local governments that dump the garbage in the same location.
6) Waste segregation at source